Monday, July 30, 2007

Monday's psalm and some mostly incoherent thoughts

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. Psalm 1: 1-3 NIV

This discussion is in no way meant to convict others, but I am convicted of recently being a little too self-obsessed. I am spending too much time thinking, not even about building a family and loving a child, but about the status of my reproductive system and my current emotions. In doing so, I am missing opportunities to really be "present" to worship God, love my family and friends, and serve my neighbors.

I am also aware recently of being too much of a "consumer." Not just in the usual sense of the word as buyer or shopper (though I am doing too much of that) but in the sense of taking things in and not producing anything. I'm consuming too many calories, reading on the internet, reading magazines, reading books, watching television and movies, listening to music, etc. In fact, I'm often doing at least two of those things at once. I'm taking in all of that but not doing, writing, speaking, singing, walking, creating, praying nearly enough to balance all of that out. Does that make sense?

No comments: